Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Back Into It - Mixed Herb Gremolata

I can't even say I feel guilty about being away from here for so long. There was just too much to do and too many people to love in real life.

Life has been a whirlwind for the last several weeks. I closed a show, packed my bags, flew to Portland and spent the most time with my family ever since being out of college, and on the day I turned 29, I flew back to the Bay, repacked a bag and drove to Tahoe with friends to celebrate the New Year. After much snow, sledding, fiery bloody mary's thai food and chocolate birthday cake, I then drove back and met up with good friends for a hike to the Tourist Club on Mt. Tam in Marin. It's been a spectacular few weeks. And now (as is always the case after the holidays) the adjustment back to reality is proving to be difficult.

Back to work, back to life, back to the computer screen and the studio apartment and the laundry, the cleaning and the stocking of the refrigerator. Oh vacation, I will miss you so.

In the spirit of mourning the days that are now past, I bring you recipes past. We'll start out slow, easing our way back into the blogging. This is the Gremolata that accompanied the fantastic Cabernet Braised Short Ribs I made for my family before Christmas. Keep your eye out for the accompanying Polenta with Gorgonzola and Cream, it was the height of comfort food.



Mixed Herb Gremolata
adapted from Bon Appetit

1/4 cup chopped Italian Parsley
3 tbsp finely grated lemon peel (I used meyer lemons)
2 garlic cloves (I sauteed the garlic for about 30 seconds in a tiny bit of olive oil, removing it before it turned brown)
1 1/2 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped

You can choose to saute the garlic or add it raw. Mix all ingredients together and add lemon juice to taste. Sprinkle on top of the short ribs, or whatever protein you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment