Thursday, March 4, 2010

Form & Function - My *Very* Tiny Kitchen

Earlier this week my friend and fellow blogger Kim posted some pictures of kitchens from around the blogosphere. I love sneaking a peak at other people's kitchens, both for inspiration and design ideas. People always say that the kitchen is the heart of a house, and I, for one, certainly believe that to be true. I love seeing how people's personalities are reflected in this particular space.

Kim asked me for a few pictures of my own kitchen. It took me awhile, but I've finally gotten around to it, and I thought I might as well post them here.




This is my tiny, nay, minuscule kitchen. This space is obviously not without its challenges. For prep space, I have a pull-out cutting board next to the sink. It tilts down at a good angle, and I'm still working at corralling all my ingredients so they don't roll onto the floor when things get cluttered, or when the angle becomes too extreme.



As you can see, there's not much space for a rolling kitchen-island type of thing. If I had the room, it would be the first addition on my list. Yet, as much as I can complain about a lack of space, it does force me to be creative and concise about what I bring into the kitchen area. Everything must have a place and a purpose.

In general, when you inhabit as small a space as I do, storage is at a minimum, and nearly everything is on display. If I don't want to look at it everyday, I don't buy it. While function is first and foremost, I've learned to combine it with form. The result is a small (tiny!) space that I like to spend time in, and that makes me feel good. You'd be surprised at the number of things you can cook and prep in even the tiniest space.




So now I'm curious. Anybody have a space that they'd like to share? Anybody have a space smaller that this?! If so, I'd love to see it! I'm sure there are kitchens smaller than mine, though it is hard to imagine...




5 comments:

  1. cute tiny kitchen photos. I'm gonna make some cranberry cake in a bit so maybe I'll take some kitchen pics too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous of your deep sink! Otherwise, I think our kitchens are about the same size, mine is just galley-shaped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's see some photos, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, your kitchen photos are just gorgeous. The light makes it look so cozy and inviting. Let me know if you get good photos - or commenters, feel free to link to them in the comments on my Tiny Kitchen post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite places. :)

    ReplyDelete