Friday, May 1, 2009

I am a trifle bit deaf in this ear... - Steak with Shallots in a Red Wine Reduction

While health-wise I am almost back to 100% after the evil flu, it has left one lasting side-effect. My left ear has been completely plugged for two weeks now. I have tried everything, to no avail. This ear is decidedly cursed and I will have to make my way over to the Doctor, again. How completely sad and pathetic to end up in the Doctor's office on account of a gimpy ear! And so, until said ear and I sheepishly find ourselves in that office, I'll have to ask you all to speak a bit louder, and forgive my overly-loud exclamations of "What? WHAT?". I simply can't hear you. On account of the ear.

In trying times such as these, there is only one thing to do. Eat steak.

Ilsa and Amber were particularly accommodating toward this idea, with Ilsa once again offering up her gigantic kitchen and both of them offering to eat the the results. Tough, I know. I have a feeling that Ilsa especially was excited, as her boyfriend is a dedicated vegetarian and they very rarely see meat in that kitchen (not to worry, we left purple potato salad and asparagus for him.)



We started with an appetizer of thinly sliced radish with sea salt on a sliced and buttered baguette. Paired with a syrah from one of my favorite Sonoma wineries, Roshambo.

This steak is deceptively easy to cook, and with a sauce of red wine, shallots and butter, what's not to like?

Steak with Shallots in a Red Wine Reduction

3 thin sirloin cuts, about 1 1/2 inch thick
2 tbsp peppercorns ground
salt
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp thinly sliced shallots
1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 cup dry red wine



Season both sides of the steak with crushed peppercorns and salt. Heat 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil over high heat. When the pan is hot, add the seasoned steaks. Cook 2 minutes on each side, test the consistency of the steak with your finger. If it's spongy it's still a bit rare inside. If you like a well done steak, take it off when the consistency is firm. Otherwise, remove when still tender. Remove steaks and set aside to rest.



Add the sliced shallots to the pan. Stir till just tender and translucent, add the beef broth, wine and butter. Cook over high heat until the liquid is reduced by half. Pour over the steak, serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. thank you for the awesome dinner! it was so good, the picture doesn't do it the taste justice.

    ReplyDelete