Thursday, July 16, 2009

Summer Days - Watermelon, Corn & Feta Salad with Mint


Summer has a way of being terribly distracting. It's so difficult to go about the day to day business of work, errands and chores when outside the temperature is above 85, the sun is shinning and there is a river nearby practically begging to be floated upon. Lately I live for the 5pm hour, and for those hours falling between Friday at 5pm and Sunday at midnight. I do my best to squeeze every possible spare minute into a summer activity. Last night was the outdoor movie night at Pizzaiolo in Oakland. Slices of summer squash, rapini and housemade sausage pizza with blackened and blistered crust and full glasses of red wine to accompany Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke. Now that is a mighty fine summer combination if I've ever seen one. Have I mentioned my affinity and undying love for Paul Newman? He is, in my mind, it.

Lucky for me, Pizzaiolo seems to agree. For the next several weeks they'll be showing a Paul Newman film on Wednesday nights at 8:30pm in their courtyard. Pizza slices, wine and housemade oreos are available while you watch. So many of my favorite things together! It's almost too good to be true.

Oh summer. You are so good to me.

Leah and I fired up her grill last week for an evening feast. We whipped together several summery salads, this being one of our favorites:




Watermelon, Corn & Feta Sald with Mint

Leah and I both agree that a mild feta with a firm texture works best here. Greek or American. Serves 4-6.

1 small watermelon
2 ears fresh corn
1/3 lb feta cheese
2 tbsp fresh mint
1 tbsp olive oil
juice of 1/2 lime
salt & pepper to taste

Cut the watermelon and the feta into cubes. Slice the corn off the cob. Finely chop the mint. Toss in a bowl with the olive oil, lime and season with salt and pepper to taste.


1 comment: