Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sick Day - Yogurt Biscuits with Chive

Well friends, I have come down with the flu. My Father's warning to get a flu shot went unheeded, and here I am downing ibuprofen as if it's going out of style and waiting for an unbelievably kind delivery of ginger ale from the Amazing Leah. And thank goodness for the discs of Mad Men at my disposal, being sick could be worse without Don Draper.

So with little appetite and a whole lot of boredom, I perused my favorite food blogs and set about making a new-to-me recipe from Mark Bittman with the intention of bringing the spoils into work today. Waking up feeling worse than before ruined those plans, and I now have too many biscuits for one person. I did try one right out of the oven, and it was more than delicious. This is an incredibly light biscuit, not oily or heavy or too dense. I like mine light and fluffy, and that's exactly what they are. Delectable with a bit of butter and jam!


They may look a little funny in the picture. I didn't have the energy to cut them out perfectly formed, instead I just kind of picked apart the dough and plopped them onto the silpat (thank god for silpats!) but they came out light and fluffy and took no time at all. A perfect accompaniment to a bowl of chicken soup on a sick day.

Yogurt Biscuits with Chives
adapted from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman
Makes 10 biscuits

2 cups all purpose flour (or bread flour)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup low-fat yogurt (I used regular yogurt, but greek yogurt would be terrific as well)
1/4 cup chives chopped (dill, rosemary or other herbs of your choice would also work)

Preheat oven to 450

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. In a food processor, add dry mixture and butter. Pulse until combined. Next, gently stir in yogurt and chives with a spoon. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and kneed 10 times. Press the dough out until it is roughly 3/4 inch thick. Cut out biscuits with a glass or cookie cutter and repeat until all the dough is shaped (I skipped that step and just tore the dough apart, plopping it down.)Place the biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet or silpat and bake for 7-9 minutes at 450.

No comments:

Post a Comment